If you are looking for the best bread machine, you have come to the right place. We’ve scrounged the market for top models from world-class industry leaders in this field and have come up with a list of the top 12 best bread makers for your convenience.
Before you dive into the bread machine reviews, we suggest that you take a look at the buying guide; it contains all the information you will need to better understand the criteria we used during the evaluation process of each model’s performance.
5 Best Bread Machine Consumer Reports: Editor’s Recommended
Being well-equipped and a better understanding of what makes the best breadmakers better than other models will help you make a better decision, which is why we advise you to start there. Of course, each of these breadmakers excels in different fields and is suited to bear the title of the ‘best’, but it’s up to you to decide which one suits your particular needs.
10 Best Bread Machine Consumer Reports Reviews:
1. Oster Bread Maker Expressbake 2-pound loaf
- 650 watts oster bread maker with upto a 2.0 pound loaf capacity is ideal for larger families
- 12 bread settings and 3 crust settings for making a variety of breads, dough, and jams
- Expressbake setting bakes bread in under an hour
- 13 hour programmable baking timer for fresh bread anytime
- Large LCD display and intuitive button controls for easy operation, 40 inch cord length
Let’s start off with Oster’s ExpressBake bread maker. In short, the Express Bake is a versatile bread machine equipped with powerful features and dozens of convenient utility settings. It’s absolutely great for beginners, and it doesn’t really cost much.
Performance-wise, the Expressbake does a really solid job. It’s powered by a 650-watt motor that is fairly robust and doesn’t emit too much noise while it is operational. The reason why it’s called ‘ExpressBake’ is that it is capable of preparing a huge variety of dough and bread remarkably fast.
As far as versatility goes, it sports twelve bread settings, as well as three crust settings. You can pretty much customize any flour-based delicacy like a professional chef with just a little bit of effort.
This might be the best home bread machine as it was specifically built to accommodate the needs of people who are not well acquainted with how bread makers work. It packs a huge LCD display, as well as very intuitive settings and controls.
Moreover, there’s a timer on board that allows you to specify the exact time when you want your bread to be ready and fresh. The timer sports 13 settings in one-hour increments.
It doesn’t take up much space as its dimensions measure 12 inches by 11 inches by 11 inches and it weighs only 8 pounds, so it’s quite portable too.
- Measures 12 inches by 11 inches by 11 inches
- Weighs 8 pounds
- 650-watt motor
- 2-pound bread loaf capacity
- Twelve selectable bread settings, three crust settings
- Timer with 13 settings in one-hour increments
- LCD display packed with intuitive controls
2. Hamilton Beach 2 lb Digital Bread Maker
- FRESH HOMEMADE BREAD IN 3 EASY STEPS: Just add your ingredients to the breadmaker, select the cycle and press start.
- YOU CONTROL THE INGREDIENTS & NUTRITIONAL CONTENT: Prepare healthy loaves of bread without preservatives or trans fat using this Hamilton Beach breadmaker.
- VERSATILE WITH 12 CYCLES: Make dough, bake cake, or make delicious mouth-watering loaves of fresh baked bread. Cycles include basic, French, gluten-free, quick bread (no yeast), sweet, 1.5 lb express, 2.0 lb express, dough, jam, cake, whole grain and bake.
- GREAT FOR DOUGH PREP: Prepare a variety of yeast doughs in the breadmaker machine for dinner rolls, pizza crusts, cinnamon buns and more, then bake in a conventional oven.
- MAKE BREAD THE WAY YOU LIKE IT: Choose to make either 1.5 lb. or 2 lb. loaves, and select from 3 crust settings for light, medium or dark crust.
Hamilton Beach is a huge name in the kitchen appliance industry, and its Digital Bread Maker earned one of the prime spots in our Bread Machine review with premium-quality features it comes supplied with, as well as with exceptional performance and price-to-value ratio.
It’s slightly heavier than our previous pick with approximately 11.86 pounds of weight, but it’s still quite light overall. Hamilton Beach’s bread maker is also highly portable as its dimensions measure 10.4 inches by 14.1 inches by 12.2 inches.
The design of this bread machine is absolutely phenomenal. It has got printed instructions on the removable top lid, so you don’t really have to memorize all of the functions, especially since there are so many of them.
There are six setting controls onboard, all of which are self-explanatory be design, including cycle, crust, loaf size, delay timer controls, and start/stop button. The LCD display is right in the middle, and even though it’s quite small, it’s brightly lit and the shown parameters are easy to see.
You will be able to choose between twelve programmable settings, including French, quick-bread, sweet, dough, cake, bake, whole grain, jam, and three express settings (1.5-pound and 2-pound express settings).
What makes this bread machine really stand out is that it sports a non-stick surface, a dishwasher-safe design, and a built-in interior pan. This machine is incredibly easy to clean and maintain.
- Dimensions measure 10.4 inches by 14.1 inches by 12.2 inches
- Weighs approximately 11.86 pounds
- Twelve baking settings
- Clearly visible LCD backlit display
- Non-stick, dishwasher-safe design
- Two kneading paddles as complementary features
3. Panasonic SD-YD250 Automatic Bread Maker with Yeast Dispenser
- 3 choices of loaf sizes and up to 2-1/2 pounds loaf capacity, ideal bread machine for modern family
- Settings for white, whole wheat, multigrain, French, quick breads/cakes
- 13-hour delay start timer and programmable menu options make meal planning easier
- Automatically adds yeast at the optimum time to ensure perfect bread
- With non-stick inner bake pan and build-in handle, finished bread is easily removed from the unit
Next up is Panasonic’s SD YD250 Automatic Bread Making Machine. It’s laden with top-shelf features, and it’s probably one of the most versatile models in our review.
First of all, it comes outfitted with a 550-watt motor that boasts a relatively silent method of operation.
The design of this bread maker is very convenient, as it’s relatively small and highly portable due to its low weight. Obviously, it’s still slightly heavier than average with 15.5 pounds of weight, but you shouldn’t have any problems carrying it from place to place if you need to.
It sports an integrated 13-hour timer with settings split in one-hour increments. This particular feature allows you to fill it with ingredients before heading to work, for example, and fresh bread will await you as you return.
The only problem you could potentially have with this bread making machine is that the controls and settings are cramped up in a smallish place. Accidentally turning on a setting or a feature that you didn’t want to will probably happen to you a couple of times until you get the hang of the machine.
This being said, Panasonic’s SD YD250 is still beginner-friendly by design. Most of its features are automatic; the machine will add the yeast ingredient at the best possible time, ensuring that the texture and taste of the bread are top-notch.
- Dimensions measure 10 inches by 5.7 inches by 7.9 inches
- Weighs approximately 15.4 pounds
- Seven baking modes
- Built-in timer with 13 one-hour increment settings
- 550-watt motor
- Supplied with a measuring cup, a measuring spoon, and a kneading blade
4. Sunbeam Programmable Bread Maker
- Bakes up to a 2 lb loaf of bread
- 13 hour delay bake and 12 baking functions
- Express Bake cycle
- Push button control panel with LED display
- Non stick, removable baking pan
If you are looking for an easy-to-use bread making machine, we highly recommend that you check out what Sunbeam’s bread maker has to offer. It requires next to nothing in terms of maintenance, it’s highly portable, and it boasts a nearly soundless method of operation.
We’ve already established that some of the best breadmaker machines come equipped with built-in timer features, and Sunbeam’s model is not an exception. It rocks a 13-hour timer (again, with selectable 1-hour increments) accessible via front panel settings.
Sunbeam’s Bread Maker is compact and remarkably easy to use. It’s supplied with very straightforward features, as well as onboard labels of selectable modes, including basic, French, Whole Wheat, Quick, Sweet, Express Bake 1.5-pound bread, Express Bake 2-pound bread, dough, jam, cake, sandwich, and bake.
It also sports an integrated display, although instead of LCD it sports LED technology. This means that it’s slightly less bright, but it’s still visible and clear. Given the fact that this is a very portable bread maker, the display is quite petite as well.
The baking pan is removable, which means that maintaining this bread machine should be a breeze. Its small frame also means that there’s less surface to clean.
The Sunbeam’s Bread Maker also packs a couple of gratis accessories, including a neat little instructional book that contains various bread recipes.
- Dimensions measure 15 inches by 10 inches by 13 inches
- Weighs approximately 16.9 pounds
- Built-in timer with 13 settings
- Twelve backing functions
- LED display in the middle of the frame
- Non-stick removable pan
- Instructional bread recipe book
5. Zojirushi BB-PAC20BA BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso Breadmaker
- Bakes a large traditional rectangular shaped 2-pound loaf; Gluten Free and Custom Menu settings will accommodate gluten free and organic baking ingredients.
- Bakes a large traditional rectangular shaped 2-pound loaf;Electrical Rating:120 volts
- Dual kneading blades to knead the dough thoroughly.
- Quick baking cycle prepares breads in about 2-hour.
- Includes a measuring cup and measuring spoon.
The BB PAC20BA BB PAC20, shortly called ‘Virtuoso Breadmaker’ is our first bread-making machine pick from Zojirushi. Although this is a relatively big machine, it brings the benefits of convenience on board, making it perfect for first-timers and beginners.
It has solid stainless steel construction and packs four non-slip rubberized legs for additional stability. The Virtuoso Breadmaker isn’t exactly compact with its dimensions being 18 inches by 10.5 inches by 13 inches, but it’s fairly portable with mere 22.1 pounds of weight.
The functionality of this bread making machine is excellent due to the fact that you’ll have complete control over the baking process.
You can specify the time by which you want fresh bread to be done via the controllable timer; you can select the type of bread you want to bake by choosing one of the modes (including basic bread, gluten-free bread, dough, jam, quick bread, cake, sourdough starter, and wheat bread).
- Dimensions measure 18 inches by 10.5 inches by 13 inches
- Weighs 22.1 pounds
- Three memory settings
- Two hearting elements (one in the heater, one in the base)
- 13-hour timer
- LCD display
- Instructional DVD
6. Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Home Bakery Supreme 2-Pound-Loaf Breadmaker
- Dual-blade bread machine makes rectangular-shaped 2-pound loaves
- 10 pre-programmed settings; 3 crust shades; LCD control panel; 13-hour delay timer
- Large viewing window; removable nonstick bread pan for easy cleaning
- Measuring spoon, measuring cup, and user manual with recipes included.Measures approximately 9-5/8 by 17 by 12-1/5 inches
- Electrical rating:120 volts / 700 watts
The BB-CEC20 Bakery Supreme is the second model in our review from the Zojirushi brand. Basically, this model and the Virtuoso have a lot in common, but there are also plenty of differences between them that set them apart.
In terms of size, they’re roughly the same; Zojirushi’s BB CEC20 Bakery Supreme’s dimensions are 12.81 inches by 13.56 inches by 18.88 inches and it weighs 19.95 pounds. It’s slightly smaller and lighter in comparison to the Virtuoso.
The Bakery Supreme sports the familiar 13-hour timer and all the selectable modes that Virtuoso comes supplied with (basic, sourdough, jam, cake, and such), as well as a non-stick baking pan that’s pretty easy to clean.
Now, there are several ‘upgrades’ aboard the Bakery Supreme. It rocks an automatic shutoff system that will terminate any active process and shut down the machine if anything should go awry. Secondly, there’s a 10-minute backup feature that will counteract any potential problems regarding power failure.
The biggest difference between The Virtuoso and Bakery Supreme bread making machines is that this particular model comes supplied with a superior 700-watt motor. You’ll also receive several complimentary features for free, including an instructional home baking recipe book, a measuring spoon, and a measuring cup.
The LCD display is slightly brighter and bigger, although the buttons are a bit harder to use because they are slightly smaller.
- Dimensions measure12.81 inches by 13.56 inches by 18.88 inches
- Weighs 19.95 pounds
- Non-stick baking pan
- Quick-baking cycle
- Back-up feature
- Clearly visible LCD display
7. Cuisinart CBK-200 2-Lb Convection Bread Maker
- 16 preprogrammed menu options, 3 crust colors, and 3 loaf sizes offer over 100 bread, dough/pizza dough, sweet cake and jam choices.
- Low Carb and Gluten-Free preset menu options and recipes. A Cuisinart exclusive!
- Special menu option takes basic dough through several long, slow cool rises for chewier textures and rustic crusts.
- Unique convection feature circulates air for superior crust color, and texture. BPA Free
- Audible tone indicates time to add fruit, nuts and other "mix-ins." Second tone offers option of removing paddle before baking, or removing unbaked dough to shape by hand.
Next up is Cuisinart’s CBK 200 two-pound convection bread maker. This particular model has everything you could possibly want out of a bread-making machine, including simple, yet highly effective features, a portable and highly durable frame, and loads of utility features.
Let’s start off with the basics. The CBK 200 is very easy to clean due to the fact that the bread pan is removable. It sports a boxy square design that makes maintenance plain and simple.
It’s relatively big since; its dimensions measure 19 inches by 16 inches by 13 inches, but it’s also pretty light as it weighs only 16 pounds. It’s made of durable refurbished stainless steel, although sturdier models can be found for a couple of dollars more.
Now, what makes this bread making machine stand out from the rest is that it doesn’t come supplied with crust control features – it sports a built-in convection feature that circulates the air within the par, providing completely passive and highly efficient crust control.
It rocks a strong 680-watt motor that is pretty silent; however, you can toggle the option to hear ‘clicking’ sounds if you’re baking a cake, for example. These noises will help you determine when you should add additional ingredients to the mix.
Among the most notable utility features, we include a 12-hour timer, the power-failure backup feature, bake-only feature, and a 15-minute pause feature.
- Dimensions measure 19 inches by 16 inches by 13 inches
- Weighs 16 pounds
- 680-watt motor
- Power-failure backup feature
- 12-hour timer
- 15-minute pause feature
8. T-Fal 7211001527 Bread Machine
- Gluten free bread maker with 15 programmable settings: Gluten free salty, gluten free sweet, gluten free cake, rapid whole wheat, whole wheat, salt free, super rapid, rapid sweet bread, french, sweet, cooking, dough, cake, jam, and pasta
- 3 loaf sizes (1, 1.5, or 2 pounds); 3 crust settings (light, medium, or dark); 700 watts of power
- Digital LCD display with indicator light; Delay start upto 15 hours; Automatic keep warm
- Brushed stainless steel housing with black accents; Top loading lid with display window; nonstick coated inner pan and handle for easy cleaning
- Includes measuring cup and spoon, hook, kneading blade, and recipe book with 25 recipes
T-Fal’s Bread Machine might be a perfect solution for people who are looking for a small, compact bread maker. It’s definitely among the best bread makers we’ve covered so far due to the fact that it’s practically weightless, has a miniature frame, and rugged construction.
The T-Fal Bread Maker sports stainless-steel materials, and it was obviously built to last for years, maybe even decades with proper use and maintenance.
It also rocks onboard mode descriptions split into four different categories, including gluten-free salty bread, sweet bread and cake in one; rapid wholewheat bread, wholewheat bread, and salt-free bread in the second; super rapid bread, rapid sweet bread, basic bread, and sweet bread in the third, and cooking only, dough, cake, jam, and pasta in the final one.
You’ll get to choose between three loaf sizes (ranging from one to two pounds), and three crust settings (including light, medium, and dark). This powerhouse of a bread maker is backed by a 700-watt motor that boasts a relatively silent method of operation. As a part of the bundle you’ll also get a measuring cup, a measuring spoon, a hook, a kneading blade, and a recipe book containing 25 handy recipes.
- Dimensions measure 16.1 inches by 12.5 inches by 14 inches
- Weighs 13.2 pounds
- 700-watt motor
- Digital display packed with an indicator light
- Brushed stainless steel construction
- Non-stick inner pan
9. KBS Pro Stainless Steel Bread Machine
- 【Multifunctional with 17 Customized Automatic Programs, 2LB Large Capacity】 KBS Breadmaker has settings for light, medium or dark crust, different loaf capacity from 1, 1.5 and 2 lb. It also has 17 programs to choose from (QUICK BREAD, WHOLE-WHEAT, GLUTEN FREE, JAM, etc.)
- 【Intelligent Fruit and Nut Dispenser, Unique Healthy Non-stick Ceramic Pan】The detachable fruit nut dispenser releases the ingredients automatically at the optimum time. Ceramic Pan is designed to make the bread evenly baked and healthier for no chemicals.
- 【360 Degree Surrounding Baking, 15H Timer, 1H Automatic Warm-keeping Function】360-degree baking for thinner crusts, fluffier bread, and more evenly burned color, 15-hour Delay Timer, 1-Hour Automatic Keep Warm, 15-minute Power Interruption Recovery allow for fresh breads anytime.
- 【Intuitive Digital Touch Panel Control and Sleek Stainless Steel Shell】 Large viewing digital window is easy to view and select the cycle, crust, and loaf size. Stainless steel heat-resistant and not easy to damage, baked bread more delicious and healthy. Homemade bread is not only tastier but also healthier (fresher & less chemicals).
- 【Superior Construction Design & Practical Accessories Included】Large viewing window offers you a full view of the process. Unique quiet AC motor-less noise, better comfort. Ceramic Pan, Kitchen Glove, User Manual, and Other Versatile Accessories Included.
KBS’s Pro stainless steel bread machine is superiorly versatile in comparison to most similarly priced models. It sports seventeen different modes, including soft bread, natural sourdough, whole wheat, sugar-free, milky loaf, raw dough, jam, yogurt, ferment, Stir fry, sweet bread, French bread, quick bread, multi-grain, cake, Leaven dough, bake, gluten-free, and Rice wine.
Furthermore, it sports three crust controls (light, medium, and dark), and supports three loaf sizes, including a pound, 1.5 pounds, and two pounds. It’s also packed with plenty of utility features, such as a programmable 15-hour timer, the ‘keep warm’ setting and a 15-minute backup feature.
Its rugged construction is comprised of stainless steel, a non-stick pan made of ceramic materials, and a fruit & nut dispenser. Bonus features are included in the bundle – you’ll also receive a metal hook, a kneading blade, and a measuring spoon and cup.
The dispenser is both removable and completely automatic; it will dispense the ingredients (and finished bread loaves) at optimal time on its own, without requiring you to press on any additional features.
Last, but certainly not least, the KBS Pro bread machine features a 710-watt motor that boasts superior strength and longevity.
- Dimensions measure 13.7 inches by 8.6 inches by 11.8 inches
- Weighs 14.7 pounds
- Non-stick pan made of ceramic materials
- Stainless steel construction
- Fruit & nut dispenser
- Complementary features include a measuring cup and spoon, a kneading blade, and a metal hook
10. Zojirushi BB-HAC10 Home Bakery 1-Pound-Loaf Programmable Mini Breadmaker
- Programmable breadmaker produces 1 pound loaves of cakes or breads
- Settings for cookie/pasta dough and fresh fruit jams; quick-bake cycle
- 13-hour delay timer; LCD control panel; viewing window; carrying handle
- Nonstick kneading blade and baking pan; instructions and recipes included. Electrical Rating- 120 volts / 450 watts
- Dimensions (W x D x H) 8-1/2 x 11-1/4 x 12-1/4 inches ,1-year warranty; cULus listed
The third and last model from Zojirushi in our review is the BB-HAC10 Home Bakery mini breadmaker. It’s the smallest of the three, but don’t let that fool you, as it comes equipped with top-shelf features just like its two bigger counterparts.
This bread making machine was specifically made to produce 1-pound bread or cake loaves. Even though it might not be the most versatile model ever made, it does come supplied with several programmable features, such as the 13-hour timer, and three baking modes (Pasta/Dough, Cake, and Jam).
It rocks a 450-watt motor that is completely silent when functional, and it sports a long operational work time.
You will also benefit from the non-stick kneading blade, a baking pan, and a recipe book as complementary features as they are included in the bundle.
- Dimensions measure 11 inches by 8 inches by 12 inches
- Weighs 9 pounds
- 450-watt motor
- Three baking modes
- 13-hour timer
- Non-stick kneading blade, baking pan, and recipe book are complementary
11. SKG Automatic Bread Machine
- 🍞 FOR BEGINNER FRIENDLY - Follow our easy-to-use recipes to add ingredient, click a few buttons, then let the bread maker takes care of the rest.
- 🥖 MUTI-FUNCTIONAL MAKING - Basic, french, gluten free, rice bread, jam, yogurt, etc. - 3 loaf sizes (1/1.5/2LB) - 3 crust colors (light/medium/dark).
- 🥐 AUTOMATIC INTELLIGENT SETTING - 15 hours delay timer, 1 hour keep warm, 15min power interrupt-recovery, 19 programs make healthier bread.
- 🍩 HIGH-STANDARD QUALITY BUILD - Removable non-stick coating pan, large viewing window, non skid feet prevent bread maker dancing from counter.
- 🍔 ADVANCED BUYER SUPPORT - Built to North American Electrical Standard Only, 120V 60Hz Power: 550W. Recipe & making accessories are included.
Here we are looking at SKG’s automatic bread maker. This model is marketed as ‘beginner-friendly’ mainly because most of its features are so simple to use. They are, nevertheless, highly versatile and support the innately huge level of performance this bread maker boasts.
It’s remarkably compact and light as its dimensions measure 10.7 inches by 14.9 inches by 13.1 inches and it weighs mere 8.59 pounds. Apart from being lightweight, it’s also fairly durable and very stable due to the fact that it’s equipped with non-skid rubberized feet.
There are also several convenience features on board, including the 15-hour timer, 1-hour keep-warm feature, 15-minute power backup feature, and nineteen programs in total. The SKG bread maker is powered by a 550-watt motor that hums a little, but it’s generally pretty silent; ‘muffled’ would probably fit the bill a bit better.
All of the controls, as well as labels and descriptions of each mode are neatly organized beneath the removable lid. You will be able to choose from numerous mode options, including Basic, French, Rice Bread, Yogurt, Gluten-Free, Jam, Corn Bread, Bake, Sweet, Quick, and Whole Wheat. This model is one of the best bread making machine models in its price range.
- Dimensions measure 10.7 inches by 14.9 inches by 13.1 inches
- Weighs 8.59 pounds
- Dozens of selectable modes and features in two categories (loaf size and baking type)
- 15-hour timer, 1-hour keep-warm feature, 15-min power backup feature
- Removable non-stick pan and non-skid rubberized feet
- Powered by a 550-watt motor
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/SKG-Automatic-Bread-Machine-2LB/dp/B071GKYPQ3?tag=johnharvard-20″ target=”blank” background=”#25B027″ size=”6″ center=”yes” icon=”icon: share-square-o” rel=”nofollow”]Check Price On Amazon[/su_button]
12. Breadman 2 Lb Professional Bread Maker
- Collapsible Kneading Paddle - The smartly designed kneading paddle collapses before baking to prevent holes in the bottom of loaves
- Perfect Bake Technology - Engineered to bake evenly for a uniform crust color, consistent texture, and excellent flavor
- Measuring Cup and Spoon Included. Wattage(Watts): 850
- 14 Baking Functions - Simply select the type of bread you wish to make and how light or dark you want it. This machine includes controls for gluten-free, low-carb, and artisan loaves
Let’s wrap it up with Breadman’s two-pound professional bread maker called BK1050S. Basically, this is a smallish bread machine outfitted with top-quality features that is available at a very approachable price.
First things first, the Breadman’s BK1050S is an absolute powerhouse; it’s powered by an 850-watt motor and is among the quickest-working bread making machines within the price point category it’s in.
On top of that, it’s highly versatile as it sports fourteen backing functions in total. These programmable settings include three different crust texture modes and eleven baking modes, including Gluten-free, low-carb, French bread, sweet, cake, jam, and such.
It’s also outfitted with a fruit & nut dispenser, which makes baking cakes all the more fun and enjoyable. The only utility feature it comes supplied with is the 15-hour programmable delay timer. The Bradman’s BK1050S is made from ultra-durable stainless steel and it’s capable of enduring decades of use and abuse. It’s certainly one of the best bread makers available for the buck.
- Dimensions measure 16.6 inches by 12 inches by 15.6 inches
- Weighs 17.2 pounds
- See-through window
- Digital LCD display
- Three loaf sizes
- Three crust color options
- Stainless steel construction
What to Look For When Shopping The Best Bread Machine?
Most people who have never used a bread maker before might be under the impression that bread making machines are simple, straightforward contraptions hence picking one is easy. That might be the case, but due to the enormous and sometimes not-so-obvious differences between different models, that might actually not be the case.
This section is dedicated to providing you with the knowledge needed to sift through mediocrity and understand what it is that makes the best bread making machines better from any other model. Without any further ado, let’s get straight to it.
Size and weight
The size of a bread maker usually has an impact on how big loaves of bread (or cakes) you can make with it. However, that’s not the only case; bigger models are almost by default heavier, and bulky, unwieldy models should not be kept at elevated positions (else they might break should you accidentally tip them over).
The size also plays a vital role when it comes to your kitchen counter space. There are small, petite models that don’t take up much space at all, so you can still keep all of your appliances in their original spots. If you opt for a bigger bread maker, though, you might need to clear up some space for it before you can actually use it.
Some people get so attached to their new bread makers that they want to bring them along whenever they travel. That’s a piece of cake when we’re talking about compact, lightweight models that weigh around 10 pounds. However, the situation gets a bit more difficult if you have a massive, lean, mean, 30-pound bread making machine.
Material and build quality
Bread makers are typical kitchen appliances, just like fruit mixers or coffee makers. When we’re talking about kitchen appliances, it’s important to get one thing straight – they absolutely need to be sturdy if you want to get any value out of them.
A kitchen is a place buzzing with life – dishes are getting washed, coffees are made in bulk, meals are prepared. There’s something happening all the time, and the chances that you’ll accidentally tip your bread maker over by accident are quite fair.
Now, sturdy models will easily survive a fall or two, maybe even ten while flimsy models made from cheap plastic (or similar materials) will immediately shatter in millions of bits and pieces. Consider stainless steel bread making machines if you’re spending a good portion of your time with kitchen chores.
Selectable modes and versatility
Only a handful of people buy bread makers solely to bake bread a bit faster. These machines are typically quite versatile as they allow you to bake cakes, French bread, gluten-free bread, and various other types of delicacies. Some even come supplied with various features that further complement their versatility, such as fruit & nut dispensers.
More versatile bread making machines allow you to control how the crust of your bread (or cake) will turn out to be, but that’s not all. Certain bread makers are designed with more than 15 selectable modes, some of which include sugar-free and gluten-free bread making settings.
Food and drink making contraptions require regular maintenance, as leftover ingredients tend to pile up and stick to the surface even after you’ve rinsed them under a tap. Now, it’s pretty safe to assume that nearly 99% of the population hates doing dishes, so it’s only safe to assume that no one will be too thrilled to spend hours cleaning up a bread maker after the process is finished.
There is bread making machines that are very demanding in terms of maintenance, and yet there are those models that require very little effort. The main factor that determines how much time and effort you need to put in the maintenance process is the very design of the bread maker. If the lid is removable, you’ll need roughly half the time to complete the process.
Programmable Features and Utility
Programmable features are there to make your bread maker experience a bit easier and more pleasurable. Features such as programmable timer, automatic shut-off, power failure backup, and similar features are there to make the machine easier to use.
That being said, these features aren’t really ‘necessary’ to label a bread maker as one of the ‘best’, but they certainly add plenty of value. Some of the best bread makers, though, are equipped with tons of utility and complementary features, so it never hurts to have them on board.
If you’ve already searched for the best breadmakers online, you are probably well aware of the fact that there are dozens and dozens of brands offering different products. In fact, the diversity between these models is sometimes so vast that one could think that there are even different categories of bread making machines.
They all serve the same purpose, though, and they’re built differently so as to accommodate the needs of different people. That’s why you get to decide which bread maker is ‘the best’ for you; claiming such a thing ‘universally’ is pretty close to impossible.